Anti-Bullying posters created by Carson High School students in Graphic Design Level 2.
What is Bullying?
Bullying means a willful act, which is written, verbal, or physical, or a course of conduct onthe part of one or more persons that is not otherwise authorized by lawand that exposes a student repeatedly and over time to one or morenegative actions which is highly offensive to a reasonable person and(1)is intended to cause or actually causes the student to suffer harm or serious emotional distress;(2) exploits an imbalance in power between the person engaging in the act or conduct and the person who is the subject of the act or conduct; (3) poses a threat of immediate harm or actually inflicts harm to another person or to the property of another person; (4) places the person in reasonable fear of harm or serious emotional distress; or (5) creates an environment that is hostile to a student by interfering with the education of the student.
Such negative actions may include, without limitation:
- Destroying the property of a student;
- Excluding a student from participating in activities;
- Extorting a student;
- Gossiping maliciously;
- Speaking disparagingly about the ethnicity of a student;
- Staring and glaring;
- Unreasonably banning the ability of a student to enter or exit an area;
- Using gestures with the intent to cause and actually causing a student to suffer harm or serious emotional distress; and Using oral, written or electronic communication with the intent to cause and actually causing a student to suffer harm or serious emotional distress.
Cyber-bullying means bullying through the use of electronic communication. The term includes the use of electronic communications to transmit or distribute a sexual image of a minor.
Bullying is Not Teasing
It might be hard to tell the difference between playful teasing and bullying. Teasing usually involves two or more friends who act together in a way that seems fun to all the people involved. Often they tease each other equally, but it never involves physical or emotional abuse.